electrical repairs

Summer is here, painting the city in vibrant hues and filling the air with a sense of adventure. However, amidst the ice cream trucks and outdoor picnics, there lurks a silent danger – faulty electrical systems!

Imagine hosting a backyard barbecue only to have the power flicker. It could leave your guests in the dark while your grill sputters.

Or worse, picture your air conditioner giving up on the hottest day of the year, turning your home into a sauna. If these scenarios sound like nightmares, it might be time to heed the signs that your home needs electrical repairs.

Read on to learn the top indicators that show you need electrical repairs in Pittsburgh.

Frequent Circuit Breaker Tripping

If you find that your circuit breakers trip frequently when you’re using multiple high-power electrical devices simultaneously, such as air conditioners, refrigerators, or electric ovens during the summer, it could indicate that your electrical system is overloaded.

Older appliances or those with internal electrical issues can cause circuit breakers to trip frequently. These appliances may draw more power than usual or have short circuits, which trigger the breaker to trip as a safety measure.

This might be due to outdated wiring or circuits that can’t handle the increased demand. A good electrician can help you figure out if there’s a simple fix, or if you have a bigger issue.

Flickering or Dimming Lights

Flickering or dimming lights can indeed be indicators of electrical issues that require attention, especially during the summer months in Pittsburgh.

If you notice lights flickering or dimming throughout your home, it could indicate voltage fluctuations. This may be caused by overloaded circuits, loose connections, or issues with the electrical supply from the utility company. An electrician can determine the cause and make necessary repairs.

Older light fixtures with worn-out components or faulty wiring can cause lights to flicker or dim. Upgrading to newer, more energy-efficient fixtures or repairing the wiring can solve this issue.

Loose connections in the electrical panel, at light switches, or within light fixtures themselves can lead to intermittent power interruptions and flickering lights. These connections should be tightened or replaced to ensure proper electrical flow.

Inadequate grounding can cause electrical imbalances and lead to flickering or dimming lights. An electrician can inspect and improve the grounding system to ensure stable electrical flow.

Electrical Shocks

If you receive a mild shock or tingling sensation when touching light switches, outlets, or electrical appliances, it indicates a potential problem with the wiring or grounding. This could be due to exposed wires, faulty outlets, or inadequate grounding, all of which require professional inspection and repair.

Some people may experience a metallic taste in their mouth or detect unusual odors like burning metal when they receive electrical shocks. These sensations can indicate electrical issues such as short circuits or overheating wiring.

Outlets that feel like they’re hot when you touch them suggest that there may be excessive electrical resistance or overloading occurring. Both of these can lead to electrical shocks and pose a fire risk.

Water and electricity don’t mix. If you receive electrical shocks when touching wet switches, outlets, or appliances, it indicates a serious safety hazard that requires immediate attention to prevent electrical accidents.

Outdated Wiring

Having outdated wiring in your home can pose various safety risks, especially during the summer when electrical usage tends to increase.

Many older homes in Pittsburgh were built with two-pronged electrical outlets, which lack the grounding protection of modern three-pronged outlets. Upgrading to three-pronged outlets with proper grounding is safer and can prevent electrical shocks and equipment damage.

If your home still has a fuse box rather than a modern circuit breaker panel, it’s a strong indication that your wiring is outdated. Fuse boxes are less safe and less convenient than circuit breakers and should be upgraded.

Power Surges

You should also watch out for power surges. A sudden increase in your energy bills without you actually using more power could be a sign of power surges. Surges can cause appliances to work inefficiently or consume more power than usual.

Power surges can sometimes manifest as electrical noise or interference on audio-visual equipment. If you hear static or notice interference on your TV, stereo system, or other electronic devices, it could be due to power surges.

Summer storms in Pittsburgh can bring lightning strikes and power fluctuations that lead to power surges. If you experience power surges during or after storms, it’s essential to have your electrical system inspected for damage.

GFCIs are designed to trip and cut off power in the event of a ground fault. If your GFCIs are tripping frequently, it could be due to power surges in your electrical system.

Rodent Damage

Rodents can cause significant damage to electrical systems in homes, posing safety hazards and increasing the risk of electrical fires.

Check for visible signs of chewed or gnawed electrical wires, especially in areas such as basements, attics, crawl spaces, and utility rooms where rodents may access electrical components. Rodents, including common ones like rats and mice, tend to chew on any electrical wires they find, exposing them and increasing the risk of electrical shorts and fires.

Rodents often use materials like paper, fabric, and insulation for nesting. If you find nests or nesting materials near electrical components such as electrical panels, outlets, or wires, it’s a strong indicator of rodent activity that could lead to damage.

Audible sounds of scratching, scampering, or gnawing within walls, ceilings, or electrical conduits may indicate the presence of rodents. If rodents are nesting near electrical components, they are more likely to cause damage to wiring and insulation.

Rodent droppings or urine stains in areas where electrical wiring is present suggest that rodents have accessed these areas. Rodents can chew through wires while navigating through tight spaces, causing damage to electrical systems.

Invest in Electrical Repairs Today

If you see any of the signs you need electrical repairs, it’s time to start looking for a great electrician.

Are you searching for electrical repair services in Pittsburgh, PA? South Hills Electric, Heating & Cooling, LLC has been supporting Pittsburgh homeowners since 1993, so you know we have the skills and experience you need. Contact us today.